Wednesday 20 February 2013

Freezing February

Soup in Iceland

Oh what a cold day. I woke up to a white frosty garden, car iced over and cob webs, glistening in the weak light.

Two weeks a go I was in Iceland on holiday. I stayed in Reykjavik, what a lovely city. I had hope to see a whale and the Northern lights whilst there. After four hours out at sea whale watching, getting very cold, I saw nothing, not even a dolphin. As for the Northern Lights, two nights out after midnight, I only saw a very weak glimmer of white light streaking across the sky, this was the lights our guide told us,  a weak affair but I did see them briefly. I will have to revisit Iceland, or somewhere else in the northern hemisphere in the future as I really want to see the Northern Lights in their full glory.

Whilst in Reykjavik, I came across a lovely quaint restaurant selling home made soup in a loaf of bread. My husband and I decided to sample the soup, on a very cold day like today. It was delicious and a quirky way to serve soup. The restaurant was packed, locals arrived to eat their soup, drink a glass of beer or wine, then on their way! A simple but delightful experience.


No comments:

Post a Comment