Sunday 12 May 2013

My mate Billy

I have a very time consuming new friend, Billy. Billy needs constant nurturing, feeding, stirring and checking on. You might ask what is this friend? Its a sourdough starter! I have been learning to make bread since Christmas, with some brilliant successes and some dramatic failures!

Sourdough has been my most recent interest, it is what I would call a 'slow' bread making affair. You need to grow the culture first, this takes about 7 days of feeding and checking. It bubbles up out of control at times, once it broke out of the sealed kilner jar it lives in!

I have heard many people say they find the process complicated, I must say once the culture is grown I find the bread making easier than making bread with yeast and I love its taste.

Today I decided to try adding some spelt flour to the white flour and put it in a tin, rather than let it go freestyle. I must say it produced a stunning little loaf.

I also made some chelsea buns,( using yeast) my husband says they are far better than what you buy in the shops.


Billy the Sourdough Starter


Bubbling nicely!

The finished articles

No comments:

Post a Comment