Monday 18 February 2013

Is this Spring?

What lovely weather we have had over the last three days, cold frosty mornings gradually turning in to bright sunny days, I love this time of year.  Many say 'spring is here' I have a few words of caution, its only February! I understand, the amount of rain we have endured over the last 12 months, we are eager to feel the warmth of the sun on our backs, getting a daily dose of vitamin D.

After a long cold and dark winter there is a desire to get planting with young plants that will provide happiness and color in a few months......STOP...... do not plant any tender little plants yet! The frosts yet to come, will kill anything tender and new that you plant. Live in the here and now, admire the snow drops that are showing their white faces, streaked with green. They can withstand the cold, the occasional daffodil may be spotted, but they will halt further development at the first sign of frost. In my garden I have noticed buds appearing on my cherry tree and weeping willow. I love the white softness of the willow buds, soft to the touch and full of promise as they prepare to release their green leaves.

My dog Molly, a German short haired pointer also loves the sun. You will probably hear a lot about Molly as she takes up a lot of time in my life and is a proper character. At this time of the year, you will often find Molly searching out the smallest shard of warmth that the sun sends down to earth. Once found, Molly resembles a Meerkat. For hours, Molly sits facing the sun, turning as the sun moves until the last rays leave our garden.

This picture is Molly basking in the one day of sun we had last summer, stretched out on a rock at Heddon's Mouth in North Devon.


No comments:

Post a Comment